Mgmnt of People, Quality and Risk in PE (CIVL4810)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study is a fourth year core unit of study for the Bachelor of Project Engineering and Management. It is also an elective for other branches of engineering and faculties. The objective of this unit is to provide underpinning knowledge and skills in the application of tools to the project management environment for risk, quality and people management including leading and managing project teams. At the end of this unit, students will be able to understand and apply the tools of team building and project management leadership, as well as apply tools for design and implementation of integrated plans for risk, quality, human resource and procurement. The competency level achieved will enable application of integration tools to a range of simple generic projects as well as provide input to plans for more complex projects. The syllabus comprises team management, project leadership, modern quality management principles and techniques, quality assurance, preparation of quality plans; risk analysis, planning and risk management, as well as linking risk and quality management to human resourcing and procurement methodologies. The use of integrated planning software such as MS Project, Gantt Project and social media tools for project management will be explained and practised. The definitions and processes of Project Management will largely follow the US based Project Management Institutes, PMBOK as is used in the Australian Institution of Project Management Standards at the level of Certified Practising Project Manager, (CPPM). Other International standards such as ICPMA's, ICB3.0 standard will also be covered.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Lectures, Tutorials, Project Work - own time
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CIVL3805. Students are expected to have understood and applied basic tools for project scope, cost and time management for projects as taught in (CIVL3805)or equivalent courses.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.