Project Procurement and Tendering (CIVL4814)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study is a fourth year core unit of study for the Bachelor of Project Engineering and Management (Civil), elective for all other branches of engineering and other faculties. The general aim of this unit is to offer student the opportunity to develop an understanding of the procurement of built facilities and the methods of job allocation in project environments. Students will be engaged in a real construction case study project where key practical concepts which underpin procurement will be taught. At the end of this unit of study, students should be able to: evaluate a client's procurement situation and apply an appropriate procurement route; explain how and why a particular procurement route is chosen; undertake procurement assessment exercises; analyse a contractor's strategic responses in tendering (bidding) decision-making; discuss why a particular bidding strategy is chosen in different contexts; and evaluate a contractor's bidding performance using competitor analysis techniques. The syllabus comprises fundamentals of building procurement, assessment of procurement risks, competitive bidding, cost estimating, the competitive environment in the construction industry, contractors' competitive positioning, contractors' decision-making in bidding competition, bidding strategies and competitor analysis.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Through semester assessment (30%) and Final Exam (70%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.