Project Formulation (CIVL4815)
UNIT OF STUDY
The objective of this unit is, through the integration of areas of project management knowledge, to develop students' ability to develop project proposals through carrying out a feasibility study and developing a project definition plan for a real-life engineering project. This unit is relevant for students who intend to pursue a career related to project management. At the end of this unit, students should have developed understanding of the fundamentals of project conceptualisation, appraisal and planning plus the abilities to: model and analyse basic financing and cash flow requirements; develop risk management plan, marketing and sales plan, stakeholder management and communication plan, operations plan; and design professional documentation and presentation to a board of review. In addition, this unit also develops students' abilities in problem solving, working with other students, conducting independent research, communication in team environment, information need identification and collection, and understanding social and environmental issues. The syllabus comprises feasibility study, project appraisal, risk assessment and management, sensitivity analysis, project planning, project integration management, carbon-trading scheme, global warming, environmental impact assessment, investment capital, venture capital, due diligence, project planning, operational planning, revenue projection, community consultation, communication management, stakeholder management, political environment.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CIVL3805 AND (CIVL3812 OR CIVL2812)
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.