Information Technologies and Systems (COMP5206)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will provide a comprehensive introduction to the field of information systems from organisational and managerial perspectives. The emergence of the digital firm and its implications will be studied. The critical role of information and knowledge management will be emphasised from both conceptual and practical standpoints. Key topics covered will include:
* Basic Information Systems Concepts
* Systems Approach and Systems Thinking
* E-Business and E-Commerce
* IT Strategy and Competitive Advantage
* Data and Knowledge Management
* Information Systems Development and IS Management
* Decision support systems, business intelligence and online analytical processing systems (OLAP)
* Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Enterprise Content Management and Supply Chain Management (SCM) systems
* Ethical, Legal and Social Aspects of Information technologis.
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 1 hr/week.
Through semester assessment (50%) Final Exam (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.