Introductory Practice 1: Clinical (CSCD2064)
UNIT OF STUDY
Students work with an advanced student and participate in clinical service delivery in the on-campus clinic. Students must demonstrate competence in the context of direct supervision (novice level), in observing, seeking information about, accurately describing and participating in provision of clinical services to their client. They are to seek information relevant to their professional development and client care, and show awareness of their impact on the client. To support their clinical learning, this unit will consider issues directly related to clinical practice in the areas of professional relationships with families and other professionals, problem solving strategies for identifying and managing ethical issues involved in being a student, working with children and working with families. Students will develop strategies for facilitating client`s learning. Also, this unit will cover culturally and linguistically diverse and indigenous issues in health service delivery, basic report writing and case presentation skills. Students will gain knowledge of the on-campus clinic policies and procedures and government legislation.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2 hr lecture/week
pass/fail (100%); 0% barrier tasks - attend 80% of lectures, complete all required clinical paperwork, and pass 1 written assignment
Competency Based Occupational Standards (CBOS), Speech Pathology Australia, Melbourne (2011) available from the Discipline
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CSCD1032 and CSCD1034
CSCD2057 and CSCD2068
Students must have completed all of the relevant pre-placement clinical compliance requirements prior to commencing this unit. See the Speech Pathology Clinical Education section of the Faculty Handbook. Students must advise the Course Director before enrolling in this unit of study if they are a prohibited person under the NSW Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 Students must hold a current CPR certificate before they can enrol in this unit. Students must also have completed the first year screening. In addition, the privacy declaration and Working with Children Check (via Commission for Children and Young People) will be required during the orientation period. Attendance at clinic orientation is compulsory. Students must pass this unit before they can enrol in Introductory Practice 2 units and Year 3 (Intermediate) speech pathology clinical units.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.