Introductory Practice 1: Community (CSCD2065)
UNIT OF STUDY
Students are paired to conduct observations and prescribed activities in a preschool, long day-care centre or kindergarten with children between 1 and 6 years as well as engage in professional interactions with staff. Students will acquire knowledge of the functions and routines in an early educational setting; develop professional communication skills and confidence in working with other professionals. They will understand how language is used and targeted as a part of the curriculum in preschool settings, develop skills in carrying out language stimulation activities with preschool children, and relate observations to relevant theory and research. To support their clinical learning, this unit will consider issues directly related to clinical practice in the areas of professional relationships with families and other professionals, problem solving strategies for identifying and managing ethical issues involved in being a student, working with children and working with families. Students will develop strategies for facilitating client`s learning. Also, this unit will cover culturally and linguistically diverse and indigenous issues in health service delivery, basic report writing and case presentation skills. Students will gain knowledge of the on-campus clinic policies and procedures and government legislation.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr lecture/week, 1x1-hr tutorial/fortnight
pass/fail (100%); 0% barrier tasks - attend 80% of lectures, attend 100% of tutorials, complete all required clinical paperwork, and pass 2 written assignments
Preschool Handbook available from the Discipline; Competency Based Occupational Standards (CBOS), Speech Pathology Australia, Melbourne (2011) available from the Discipline
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
CSCD1032 and CSCD1034
CSCD2057 and CSCD2068
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.