Speech Pathology Research Methods (CSCD3085)
UNIT OF STUDY
In this unit students will learn the basic principles of designing, undertaking and analysing research in speech pathology. This will enable students to be more careful consumers (and, perhaps, producers) of research when they become clinicians and to appreciate the fundamental link between research skills and evidence-based practice. This unit will also lay the groundwork for students who might be considering a research higher degree. A variety of topics will be explored including correlational techniques, hypothesis testing and qualitative methods. Exercises and examples will relate specifically to the basic science and applied aspects of speech pathology. Students will gain experience using SPSS statistical analysis software or equivalent.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr lecture/week for 13 weeks, 1x1-hr computer lab/week for 7 weeks
SPSS exams (20%), research appraisal (30%) and final exam (50%)
Clinical Research methods in Speech language Pathology and Audiology (2nd Ed) (by Irwin, Pannbacker & Lass)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This unit is a prerequisite for CSCD4051
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.