UNIT OF STUDY
Students conduct observations and prescribed activities in a preschool, long day care centre or kindergarten with children between 1 and 6 years as well as professional interactions with staff. Students will acquire knowledge of the functions and routines in an early educational setting, develop professional communication skills and confidence in working with other professionals, understand how language is used and targeted as a part of the curriculum in preschool settings, develop skills in carrying out language stimulation activities with preschool age children, and relate observations to relevant theory and research.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1-hr lecture/week weeks 1, 2, 5, 9 and 12 Fieldwork 9am-5pm Monday-Friday minimum 12 hours over 6 weeks
pass/fail (100%), attend orientation and all tutorials (0% barrier task), preschool visits (0% barrier task), 4 language activity plans (0% barrier task), required paperwork (0% barrier task), interaction analysis 1000 wd (0% barrier task) and online activities (0% barrier task)
Fieldwork Handbook (available on the Learning Management System (LMS))
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CSCD1032 and CSCD1034
Students must hold a current CPR certificate and Police Check and Working with Children Check before they can enrol in this unit. Attendance at Fieldwork orientation is compulsory. Students must advise the Unit Coordinator before enrolling in this unit of study if they are a prohibited person under the NSW Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.