Designing Social Media (DECO2010)
UNIT OF STUDY
The aim of this unit is to understand principles and technologies relevant to the design of social media, that is, media supporting social interaction. Design principles for the representation of personal and collective identity, the history and theory of social networks, and the creation of virtual spaces for socialisation are emphasised. The unit will introduce students to methods for analysing social media and 'big data' through the notions of crowdsourcing, produsage and gaming. Students will gain proficiency designing social media platforms and usage scenarios that solve a range of design challenges. Students will participate in, critically review and prototype new forms of sociable media to demonstrate their understanding of the subject matter. This is a core unit in the Bachelor of Design Computing.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Architecture and Environments
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Further unit of study information
Lecture 1 hr/wk; tutorial 2 hrs/wk
1 x group work on sociable media (30%), 1 x individual analysis document (20%), 1 x group design project (40%), weekly tutorials (10%), attendance and participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.