Research Methods in Dentistry (DENT6000)
UNIT OF STUDY
Research Methods in Dentistry is a postgraduate course designed to provide fundamental skills in clinical research design and critical appraisal of scientific literature for students intending to undertake research at the Faculty of Dentistry. The ability to critically evaluate journal articles is seen as an indispensable tool in the pursuit of clinical practice founded on Evidence-Based Dentistry.
All course material is provided on compact discs and through eLearning (formerly WebCT) via the University of Sydney's website. A detailed series of notes, tutorial exercises and recorded mini-lectures are included in the study material. Students are required to complete one tutorial exercise/assignment each week. Weekly tutorial sessions are held at Westmead Hospital and Sydney Dental Hospital.
Topics covered include epidemiologic study design, measures of disease frequency and association, as well as confounding, bias and measurement error. Considerable attention is paid to critical appraisal of journal articles. An introduction into diagnostic test studies, systematic reviews and basic biostatistics is also provided.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Medicine)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Orthodontics)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Paediatric Dentistry)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Periodontics)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Special Care Dentistry)
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical Dentistry (Advanced Restorative)
- Graduate Diploma in Clinical Dentistry (Advanced Restorative)
- Graduate Diploma in Clinical Dentistry (Surgical Dentistry)
Further unit of study information
1 x 2hr tutorial/week x 10weeks
Final Assignment (50%) and weekly continuous assignments (50%)
Class notes and full-text journal articles are provided via the course website - Blackboard.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.