Spatial Audio (DESC9137)
UNIT OF STUDY
Unit content: Stereophonic, binaural, and multichannel surround sound production techniques; Spatial acoustics and auditory spatial perception; spatial hearing and auditory spatial attributes (beyond localization): spatial sound quality; high resolution spatial audio recording and rendering techniques; auralisation in architectural design; virtual auditory space and hybrid real/virtual sound spaces; and interactive spatial audio technology and applications. By completing this unit students will acquire: strong theoretical foundations in spatial audio; experience with spatial audio systems (physical and computational); an appreciation of spatial audio potential of emerging technologies; and an ability to integrate spatial audio into their broader practice.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Design
- Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics)
- Graduate Diploma in Heritage Conservation
- Graduate Diploma in Urban Design
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (High Performance Buildings)
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Heritage Conservation
- Master of Urban Design
Further unit of study information
Seminars 3 hrs/wk
1 x 1000wd project proposal (10%); 1 x 2000wd review (20%); review presentation (20%); final project (40%); participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
DESC9138 and DESC9011
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.