Photometry and Colorimetry (DESC9166)
UNIT OF STUDY
Measurements of light based only on physical properties are of limited use to the lighting designer. Instead, the tools to measure and communicate the characteristics of light sources and illumination consider the impact of the physical attributes of light on the human visual system. This unit covers the photometric measures related to the quantity of light and illumination and the colorimetric systems used to characterize the colour of lights and objects. The calculation methods underlying these measures are included, with an emphasis on useful simulation techniques. The derivations, meanings, proper applications, and limitations of these measurements systems are discussed. An overview of physical instruments for photometric and colorimetric measurements is included. Students learn to apply knowledge of photometry and colorimetry to evaluate lighting products.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Architectural Science (Illumination Design)
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Design
- Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science (Illumination Design)
- Graduate Diploma in Heritage Conservation
- Graduate Diploma in Urban Design
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (High Performance Buildings) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design) (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design) (High Performance Buildings)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Heritage Conservation
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Urban Design (Architectural and Urban Design)
- Master of Urban Design (Urban Design and Planning)
Further unit of study information
Five day intensive.
Two assignments (2 x 50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.