Planning for the Public Domain (DESP2001)
UNIT OF STUDY
Students will be able to: undertake background studies to inform designing for various elements of the public domain (streets and roads, open space and public places, car parking, pedestrian networks and centres); formulate and respond to complex planning problems; prepare and present simple proposals; use basic terms, concepts and methods in practical urban design and planning situations. On successful completion of this unit, each student will be able to demonstrate their ability to: to prepare short documents, using photos, maps, drawings and other illustrations, with annotated comments and supporting text, to present planning studies and proposals; to use basic ideas (such as: vistas, viewing and over-viewing, connectivity, legibility, enclosure, uses, activities, environs, links, built form, interest, amenity networks, nodes) in reviewing design situations and preparing site analyses and proposals; to apply a critical and reflective approach in understanding planning and design situations, and in preparing informative documents which move from planning studies to proposals with supporting arguments; to be able to prepare proposals for built form outcomes and related planning instruments, with supporting studies and arguments.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Architecture and Environments
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Further unit of study information
Lectures 2 hrs/wk
workbook presenting studies, reviewing materials, envisaging work to be done, demonstrating critical thinking, and presenting proposals (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
DESP2201 or DESP2203
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.