Development: Civil Society and Wellbeing (DVST6901)
UNIT OF STUDY
The post-1949 era of 'development' has seen a philosophical and policy shift from nation-building projects of 'modernisation' to the local responsiveness of market forces and civil society. An anthropological emphasis on cultural and local difference and a sociological understanding of state and civil society provide a critical perspective on both this history and current debates. Case studies raise questions of health, gender and childhood, project success or failure, and of the hopes and skepticism development evokes.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Development Studies
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Development Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Human Rights
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of Human Rights
- Master of Human Rights and Democratisation (Asia Pacific Regional Program)
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Law and International Development
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies
- Master of Political Economy
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
Weekly online exercises 1000wd in total (15%),1x500wd Research essay proposal (10%), 1x3000wd Research essay (45%), 1x1500wd Take-home exercise (30%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This unit is delivered at the University of Sydney.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.