Rethinking Poverty (DVST6904)
UNIT OF STUDY
Poverty reduction has always been a central development goal. Major international programs such as the UN's Millennium Goals place poverty at their centre. New explanatory concepts such as social exclusion, capability, social capital and sustainability have considerably expanded our thinking about its nature. Students will examine cases from many parts of the world of the way discourses, policies and development practices operate together, enabling an evaluation of contemporary approaches to poverty and their effects on those most vulnerable.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Development Studies
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Development Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Human Rights
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of Human Rights
- Master of Human Rights and Democratisation (Asia Pacific Regional Program)
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Law and International Development
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies
- Master of Political Economy
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
1x2000wd Essay (40%), 1x2000wd Take-home exercise (35%), 1x1hr Exam (15%), 1x1000wd Reading notes (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This unit is delivered at the University of Sydney.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.