Applied Econometrics (ECMT3120)
UNIT OF STUDY
Econometric theory provides techniques to quantify the strength and form of relationships between variables. Applied Econometrics is concerned with the appropriate use of these techniques in practical applications in economics and business. General principles for undertaking applied work are discussed and necessary research skills developed. In particular, the links between econometric models and the underlying substantive knowledge or theory for the application are stressed. Topics will include error correction models, unit roots and cointegration and models for cross section data, including limited dependent variables. Research papers involving empirical research are studied and the unit features all students participating in a group project involving econometric modelling.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Economics and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Diploma of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2hr lecture/week, 1x1hr tutorial/week
group project (25%), Mid-semester test (25%), 2hr Final exam (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
ECMT3110 or ECMT3010 or (ECMT2150 and ECMT2160)
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.