Design for Learning (EDPC5022)
UNIT OF STUDY
This course provides a framework for considering many of the core problems facing those who carry out the work of educational design. It offers a model of the architecture of learning situations and focuses on three main design components that influence the character and outcomes of learning: the design of good learning tasks, the design of physical and digital resources and spaces for learning, and design intended to evoke convivial learning relationships. The course does not aim to teach specific design techniques - for example, the steps in Instructional Systems Design (ISD). Rather, it suggests ways of identifying which tools and techniques, from the many now available, are most likely to be appropriate for a specific design challenge. The course therefore offers an overview of selected, contemporary approaches, techniques and tools of relevance to designing for other people's learning. It also provides an opportunity to review empirical research on how designers design and what knowledge they draw upon in design work.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Learning Sciences and Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Psychology)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (TESOL)
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Education (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Master of Education (Educational Psychology)
- Master of Education (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Master of Education (TESOL)
- Master of Learning Sciences and Technology (Professional)
- Master of Learning Sciences and Technology (Research)
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
1x2hr seminar/week - evening
2x1500wd short assignments (2x25%) and 1x3000wd final paper (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.