Bilingual Education (EDPJ5025)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit introduces and explores principles and issues surrounding bilingual education. Different models of bilingual education are introduced, and the isues surrounding the aims, rationale and goals of different models are explored. Issues surrounding bilingual education theory, the teacher in bilingual settings, family and community involvement in bilingual education, bilingualism and biliteracy, and issues of power and identify are examined. The unit focuses on current research surrounding bilingual education. This unit is suited to students who teach in bilingual or immersion contexts in addition to those more generally interested in catering for bilingual and multilingual students in all settings.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (TESOL)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Psychology)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (TESOL)
- Master of Education
- Master of Education (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Master of Education (Educational Psychology)
- Master of Education (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Master of Education (TESOL)
Further unit of study information
1x1hr lecture/week and 1x1hr tutorial/week commencing week 2
1 case study (50%); 1 essay (50%)
Baker, C. (2006). Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. (4th Ed). Clevedon, NJ: Multilingual Matters.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.