Language Testing and Assessment (EDPJ5026)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit provides a broad overview of the major principles involved in second and foreign language testing and assessment. The focus of the unit is on both theoretical and practical issues in testing and assessment. The design of language tests and assessment appropriate to particular learning settings is addressed with reference to communicative language teaching and task-based methodology. Issues concerning the influence of testing on teaching and recent developments in research in testing and assessment will be considered.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (TESOL)
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Educational Psychology)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (TESOL)
- Master of Applied Linguistics
- Master of Education
- Master of Education (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Master of Education (Educational Psychology)
- Master of Education (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Master of Education (TESOL)
Further unit of study information
1x1hr lecture/week, 1x1hr tutorial/week commencing week 2
1x2500wd review of major test techniques for assessing a language skill (35%); 1x1000wd development of rating scales for an extended language production task (25%); 1x2500wd developing test specifications for an individual language test task (40%).
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.