Simulation and Numerical Solutions in Eng (ELEC2103)
UNIT OF STUDY
* How to apply the software package Matlab to achieve engineering solutions
* Critical assessment of various computer numerical techniques
* Professional project management, teamwork, ethics
This unit assumes an understanding of the fundamental concepts and building blocks of electrical and electronics circuits. As well as covering the specific topics described in the following paragraphs, it aims to develop skills in professional project management and teamwork and promote an understanding of ethics.
Basic features of Matlab. The Matlab desktop. Interactive use with the command window. Performing arithmetic, using complex numbers and mathematical functions. Writing script and function m-files. Matrix manipulations. Control flow. Two dimensional graphics. Application of Matlab to simple problems from circuit theory, electronics, signals and systems and control. Investigation of the steady state and transient behaviour of LCR circuits.
Matlab based numerical solutions applicable to numerical optimization, ordinary differential equations, and data fitting. Introduction to symbolic mathematics in Matlab. Applications, including the derivation of network functions for simple problems in circuit analysis. Introduction to the use of Simulink for system modelling and simulation.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
Further unit of study information
Lecture 1 hr/week; Laboratory 3 hrs/week; Project Work - own time 3 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (25%) and Final Exam (75%)
William Palm III/Introduction to Matlab for Engineers/3rd/2011/978-0-07-353487-9//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
ELEC1103. Understanding of the fundamental concepts and building blocks of electrical and electronics circuits and aspects of professional project management, teamwork, and ethics.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.