Communications Electronics and Photonics (ELEC3405)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study provides an introduction to the fundamental operation and design of transmitter and receiver subsystems for two broad classes of communications systems: those based on electronic transmission and those based on optical transmission.
In the area of electronic communication subsystems, the course presents transmitter and receiver design. Topics relating to the transmitter comprise electronic oscillator sources, tuned electronic amplifiers, and modulators. Topics relating to receiver design comprise RF and IF frequency selective amplifiers, mixers, demodulators, phase-lock loops, feedback amplifiers, and high frequency RF and microwave communication amplifiers. In the area of optical communication subsystems, the course presents photonic transmitters and receivers. On the transmitter side this focuses on the principles of light generation in optical sources such as semiconductor lasers and light emitting diodes, electro-optic modulation of light, and optical amplifiers. On the receiver side, photodetectors, optical receivers, and front-end circuits are discussed. The principles and design of these subsystems are considered with reference to a basic optoelectronic communication link.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Laboratory 3 hrs/fortnight; Tutorial 2 hrs/fortnight.
Through semester assessment (25%) Final Exam (75%)
G. Agrawal/Fiber-optic communication systems// A. Sedra and K. Smith/Microelectronic Circuits/2nd/2005//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
ELEC2104. A background in basic electronics and circuit theory is assumed.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.