Practical Experience (ELEC4702)


The Bachelor of Engineering degree requires students to obtain industrial work experience of twelve weeks (60 working days) duration towards satisfying the requirements for award of the degree. Students may undertake their work experience after completion of a minimum of 24 credit points of Year 3 units of study when they have built up a sufficient background of engineering. In general, the type of job that is acceptable for work experience should be in an engineering environment but not necessarily in the same discipline of the degree the student is pursuing. The student is required to inform the School of any work arrangements made by email.
Assessment in this unit is by the submission of a written report of about 4-6 pages on the industrial experience undertaken. The report is to describe the overall structure of the company, the areas that the student became familiar with and their relationship to the firm and, finally, what the student did. A certificate from the company stating the period of employment and the type of work you have undertaken should be attached to your report. The student should inform the company that a short report on the work experience is to be submitted to the School.
The report is to be submitted to the School electronically (see details on the course website There is no deadline for submission of the report but it is a good practice to submit it in the first two weeks after the new semester started.

Our courses that offer this unit of study

Further unit of study information


Practical Experience


Through semester assessment (100%)

Faculty/department permission required?


Unit of study rules


24 CP of senior or senior advanced units of study.

Study this unit outside a degree

Non-award/non-degree study

If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.

Cross-institutional study

If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.