Power Systems Dynamics and Control (ELEC5211)
UNIT OF STUDY
The unit deals with power systems modelling, analysis and simulation under dynamic conditions. The unit will cover the following topics: - The links between power system steady state analysis and transient analysis - Basics of dynamic system in general and stability analysis methods - Analysis of power systems subject to electromagnetic and electromechanical transients - Power system modelling for stability analysis and electromagnetic transients analysis: Synchronous machine modelling using Park's transformation; Modelling of excitation systems and turbine governors; Modelling of the transmission system; Load modelling - Simulation of interconnected multi-machine systems - Stability analysis: Transient stability; Small signal stability; Voltage stability - Power system control: Voltage control; Power system transient stability control; Power system dynamic stability control; Emergency control. The unit is a specialist Unit for MPE (Power) and ME (Electrical and Power). It is also available as a recommended elective for BE Electrical (Power).
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours) (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Electrical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Power Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Telecommunications Engineering)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Electrical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Power)
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 2 hrs/week; Laboratory 2 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (50%) and Final Exam (50%)
P. Kundur/Power System Stability and Control/1994/978-0070359581//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
ELEC3203 OR ELEC9203 OR ELEC5732
The pre-required knowledge for learning this UoS is a deep understanding on circuit analysis and its applications in power system steady state analysis.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.