Satellite Communication Systems (ELEC5510)
UNIT OF STUDY
Satellite communication systems provide fixed and mobile communication services over very large areas of land, sea and air. This unit presents the fundamental knowledge and skills in the analysis and design of such systems. It introduces students to the broad spectrum of satellite communications and its position in the entire telecommunications network; helps students to develop awareness of the key factors affecting a good satellite communications system and theoretical and practical skills in the design of a satellite communications link.
Topic areas include: satellite communication link design; propagation effects and their impact on satellite performance; satellite antennas; digital modem design, speech codec design; error control for digital satellite links.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Master of Engineering (Electrical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Power Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Software)
- Master of Engineering (Telecommunications Engineering)
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Professional Engineering (Electrical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Telecommunications)
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Site Visit 3 hrs; Project Work - own time 5 hrs; Tutorial 1 hr/week; Laboratory 3 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (30%) Final Exam (70%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
Knowledge of error probabilities, analog and digital modulation techniques and error performance evaluation studied in ELEC3505 Communications and ELEC4505 Digital Communication Systems, is assumed.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.