Optical Communication Systems (ELEC5511)
UNIT OF STUDY
This course will provide an understanding of the fundamental principles of optical fibre communication systems. It commences with a description of optical fibre propagation characteristics and transmission properties. We will then consider light sources and the fundamental principles of laser action in semiconductor and other lasers, and also the characteristics of optical transmitters based on semiconductor and electro-optic modulation techniques. The characteristics of optical amplifiers will also be discussed. On the receiver side, the principles of photodetection and optical receiver sensitivity will be discussed. Other aspects such as fibre devices and multiple wavelength division multiplexing techniques will also be discussed. Finally, the complete optical fibre communication system will be studied to enable the design of data transmission optical systems, local area networks and multi-channel optical systems.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours) (Advanced)
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Master of Engineering (Electrical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Power Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Telecommunications Engineering)
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Professional Engineering (Electrical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Power)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Telecommunications)
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 2 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (25%) and Final Exam (75%)
G. P. Agrawal/Fiber-optic Communication Systems/2010//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
(ELEC3405 OR ELEC9405) AND (ELEC3505 OR ELEC9505). Basic knowledge of communications, electronics and photonics
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.