Advanced Engineering Design A (ENGG4064)
UNIT OF STUDY
The aim to this unit is to develop an understanding of the practice of engineering, utilising a diverse range of skills to solve complex problems. Students will gain skills in design, analysis and management by undertaking a significant project in a multi-disciplinary team comprising students from across the faculty. Each student will be required to work in a team to produce an integrated design in greater detail than is possible in ordinary classes and to write a significant design report presenting the results of the process. The ability to work in a team of engineers from different disciplines will be assessed as part of this design project. We try to centre projects around a client, which can be an industrial facility, the Campus and Property Services Office of the University, Research departments within the university, or outside clients including non-profits and community group. Elements drawn from: Introduction to the design process, Clarification of the Brief, Inquiry, brainstorming, Design philosophy, Design optimisation, Equipment design and costing, Hazard assessment, Environmental Impact Assessment, Project financial Analysis, Business planning.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil) and Bachelor of Design in Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
Further unit of study information
Project Work - own time
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Distinction average WAM
Only students with an AAM of > 75% at the end of Year 3 will be invited to join this interdisciplinary group
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.