Professional Practice in Project Management (ENGG5205)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study teaches the fundamental knowledge on the importance, organisational context and professional practice in project management. It serves as an introduction to project management practices for non-PM students. For PM students, this unit lays the foundation to progress to advanced PM subjects. Although serving as a general introduction unit, the focus has been placed on scope, time, cost, and integration related issues.
Specifically, the unit aims to: Introduce students to the institutional, organisational and professional environment for today's project management practitioners as well as typical challenges and issues facing them; Demonstrate the importance of project management to engineering and organisations; Demonstrate the progression from strategy formulation to execution of the project; Provide a set of tools and techniques at different stages of a project's lifecycle with emphasis on scope, time, cost and integration related issues; Highlight examples of project success/ failures in project management and to take lessons from these; Consider the roles of project manager in the organisation and management of people; Provide a path for students seeking improvements in their project management expertise.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Project Management
- Master of Professional Engineering (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Civil)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Electrical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Fluids)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Geomechanical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Power)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Structural)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Telecommunications)
- Master of Project Management
Further unit of study information
Through semester assessment (60%) and Final Exam (40%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This is a core unit for all Master of Professional Engineering students as well as all students pursuing Project Management studies (including Master of Project Management, Graduate Certificate in Project Management and Graduate Diploma in Project Management). No prerequisite or assumed knowledge.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.