Reading Magazines (ENGL6970)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit celebrates magazines as an important but often over-looked part of Australian print and digital culture. Starting with an overview of the history of print culture in Australia and the role of iconic magazines like the Bulletin and Women's Weekly in constructing literary and popular culture, we then examine a cross-section of publications from 'little' literary magazines to fashion, gossip, sports, special-interest, custom and online magazines.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing
- Graduate Certificate in Digital Communication and Culture
- Graduate Certificate in English Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Publishing
- Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing
- Graduate Diploma in Digital Communication and Culture
- Graduate Diploma in English Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Publishing
- Master of Creative Writing
- Master of Digital Communication and Culture
- Master of English Studies
- Master of Publishing
Further unit of study information
1x2000wd Critical analysis of a magazine (40%), 2x 1000wd Oral Presentation (20%), 1x2000wd Critical analysis of a magazine (40%),
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Cross-listed for Master of Publishing students.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.