Sustainable Development (ENVI5903)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study constitutes an international field-based experience held in Indonesia during the July semester break. It explores the contested notions of sustainable development and sustainability through exposure to real world development dilemmas in one of Asia's most dynamic countries. We explore fundamental issues such as urbanization, resource scarcity and economic globalization. The unit of study involves lectures, in-situ readings and discussion groups, introduction to field methods, stakeholder meetings and experiential learning. Students interested in this unit should confirm their interest to the Unit Coordinator by the end of March of the year the field school will be held. There will be additional costs associated with this unit to cover food, accommodation, local transport and field assistance of about $1200 Students will also be required to arrange their own international travel to the starting point (either Bangkok or Jakarta).
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Development Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Science
- Graduate Certificate in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Development Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Diploma in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Environmental Science and Law
- Master of Marine Science and Management
- Master of Political Economy
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
Two pre-departure lectures, 14-day field intensive.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.