Exercise Physiology for Clinicians (EXSS2027)
UNIT OF STUDY
The aim of this unit is to provide students with a broad understanding of the physiological responses and adaptations to physical activity and inactivity. The unit has a primary focus on the physiological responses to exercise, and the application of exercise as a treatment modality.. The unit describes the basic metabolic, cardiovascular and respiratory responses and adaptations to exercise training in healthy, asymptomatic individuals (children, adults and the elderly). Attention is given to special populations who are often in need of increased exercise training (eg. overweight, obese, elderly). Two class experiments are included during lecture hours to add practical experience and to develop critical thinking.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x1-hr and 1x2-hr lecture/week, 4x1-hr tutorials/semester
Written Assessments (25%), mid semester exam (25%), end semester exam (50%)
Powers, SK and Howley ET, Exercise Physiology; Theory and Application to Fitness and Performance (8th Ed). McGraw-Hill (2012).
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Bachelor of Health Sciences students must have completed EXSS1032 for enrolment into this unit of study
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.