Management, Marketing and the Law (EXSS3041)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit presents management, marketing and legal issues that impact on Australian businesses. The management component provides an overview to the key elements in operating a small business within the sport, health or fitness industry. Management concepts that will be covered include business planning, total quality management, operations management, negotiation and leadership. The marketing component introduces marketing strategies such as market planning, market research and market segmentation. All businesses must demonstrate legal compliance. This unit highlights those areas of the law that have particular relevance to businesses operating within the health and fitness industry. Workplace contracts, insurance, sponsorship, consumer protection, liability and legislative obligations (harassment and discrimination) will be discussed. Students will develop an understanding of the various business legal structures and will be able to select an appropriate structure for a business of their choice.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Sport Science)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
2-hr lecture/week, 1-hr tutorial/week
assignment (35%), end semester exam (65%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.