Exercise Across the Lifespan (EXSS3050)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit covers the rationale and recommendations for the use of exercise and the promotion of physical activity from childhood through to old age, including those with chronic disease and disability. The student will explore evidence for the contribution of exercise to psychological health and well-being, improvement in body composition associated with poor health outcomes, and for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases and disability, including cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, cognitive impairment, depression, diabetes, obesity, vascular disease, renal failure, and mobility impairment . Appropriate exercise modalities for older adults and implementing the exercise prescription in those with chronic disease and frailty as well as promoting behavioural change will also be taught.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Oral presentation and reference library preparation (20%), written end-semester examination (20%) and written group assignment (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
EXSS2022 and EXSS2028 and EXSS3023
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.