Cultural Policy (GCST6901)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit examines cultural policy across a range of sectors such as museums and heritage, the arts, media, and the 'cultural industries'. It will provide theoretical perspectives and practical insight into policy formation processes in Australia and internationally. The multiple actors and rationales that shape policy and ground claims for its relevance amid social change and cultural diversity are considered. Students learn how to analyse policies in relation to the institutional, social and political contexts of their emergence.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Art Curating
- Graduate Certificate in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Media Practice
- Graduate Certificate in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Art Curating
- Graduate Diploma in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Media Practice
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of Art Curating
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Media Practice
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
1x2hr lecture/week, 1x1hr tutorial/week
1x1500wd policy analysis (30%), 1x3000wd Research essay (60%) and Tutorial participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.