Clinical Practice 3 (GENC5011)


Clinical practice 3 will extend students' experiences of genetic counselling for individuals and families affected by a broad range of genetic disorders. The further development and evaluation of values, attitudes and skills in genetic counselling will be presented, with an emphasis on professional roles, cultural and disability awareness/sensitivity training, facilitating deciison making and addressing uncertainty. Students will spend 5 weeks in a full time Clinical placement with metropolitan or outreach genetic counselling services associated with NSW Health, interstate or internationally Students will be expected to participate in the everyday running of a service. The aim is for students to develop intermediate level professional clinical competencies as required by the Human Genetics Society of Australasia Board of Censors for Genetic Counselling including the writing of a long case study report reflecting on their practice, skills gained and challenges faced.

Our courses that offer this unit of study

Further unit of study information


9x 1.5h lectures/tutorials/reflective practice/videotape student counselling session; SMS-Northern, Kolling Institute, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards.


Log book of 20 cases (40%); log book of total of 50 cases seen over the course (10%); long case seen in clinical placement (50%). In addition competencies are assessed during placement but do not attract a mark.


Gaff, CL & Bylund, CL (Eds) (2010) Family Communication about Genetics: Theory and practice. Oxford University Press, UK; LeRoy BS, Veach PM & Bartels, DM (Eds) (2010) Genetic Counseling Practice: advanced concepts and skills. Wiley-Blackwell.

Faculty/department permission required?


Unit of study rules


Completion of all Stage 1 units of study

Assumed knowledge

Knowledge and skills gained in GENC5003, GENC5004 and GENC5008

Study this unit outside a degree

Non-award/non-degree study

If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.

Cross-institutional study

If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.