Geographic Information Science A (GEOG5001)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study gives an overview of basic spatial data models, and enables students to understand the use of data from a variety of sources within a geographical information system (GIS). The analysis of spatial data, and its manipulation to address questions appropriate to planning or locational applications, will be addressed, as will the development of thematic maps from diverse data layers.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Science
- Graduate Certificate in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Environmental Science and Law
- Master of Marine Science and Management
- Master of Sustainability
- Master of Wildlife Health and Population Management
Further unit of study information
Six lectures plus six workshops.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
This unit assumes a sound understanding of scientific principles, HSC level mathematics and understanding of basic statistics.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.