Research Design (GOVT6139)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will provide students with the fundamentals for constructing and conducting effective research projects in the social sciences. An overview of social science inquiry will be presented through an examination of the diversity in theoretical and methodological approaches used in research. This will include a focus on both primary research, using interviews and questionnaires, and secondary research, using statistical databases, content analysis and textual analysis. Both quantitative and qualitative methods will be covered in the unit, as will an overview of ethical practices associated with research design. The assessment will be based around constructing practical research projects that can be utilised in both university and workplace-based research.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in International Relations
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Security
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Political Economy
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
1x2000wd Essay (30%), 1x4000wd Proposal (50%), 1x Seminar participation (20%),
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.