Governance and Civil Society (GOVT6156)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit provides an overview of contemporary debates about policy making in democratic states, such as Australia. It examines how 'governance' is constituted by the interaction between the state and civil society. Governance is an emerging area of interest for both government and non-government organisations, and this unit analyses the way these social, economic and political organisations interact to both create public policy agendas and lead to social and political change. The unit covers the configurations of policy communities, political networks and social movements which shape both representative and participatory democratic practice. There is a particular emphasis on understanding the strategies that different political actors adopt.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Development Studies
- Graduate Certificate in International Relations
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Development Studies
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of Administrative Law and Policy
- Master of China Public Administration
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of International Law
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
1x1.5hr Examination (20%), 1x4500wd Research report (60%), 1x Seminar participation (20%),
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.