Public Management and Governance (GOVT6331)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit outlines some of the most important developments in contemporary public management and governance and how these relate to the everyday practices of those working in the public sector. It uses examples drawn from a number of OECD countries to: critically analyse the forces that have driven the move towards 'public management'; examine the theory and practice of 'public governance'; evaluate the merits of these developments; and apply this knowledge to better understand specific developments across different contexts.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in International Relations
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Public Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Administrative Law and Policy
- Master of International Law
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
1x1hr lecture/week, 1x1hr in-class group work/week
1x3000wd Case study (50%), 1x1000wd Case study outline (10%), 1x2hr Examination (30%), 1x Seminar participation (10%),
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.