Media Politics (GOVT6336)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will examine the politics of news, the institutional basis and processes of its production and how this influences its content. It will analyse the news media as an area of political conflicts and the consequent interests and strategies of various groups in affecting news content. It will examine the way in which news coverage impacts upon political processes and relationships. It will especially examine the role of the news media in election campaigns, policy formation and scandals. Our primary focus is Australia, but there are some comparisons with other affluent liberal democracies.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Certificate in International Relations
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
3000wd essays (2x50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.