Work Based Project (GSOG6005)


A project, undertaken individually or with a group, that results in a written report with appropriate supporting material and documentation to aid implementation or progression to approval (for example, a draft Cabinet Minute, ministerial briefing note, internal or external discussion paper). The report should demonstrate primary research, the development of proposals based on independent research and an in-depth examination of the project theme. For students undertaking individual projects the expected length would be 5000 words or less, while group projects would be 10,000 words or less (including supporting and implementation documentation). The project report must include a Learning Objectives Impact Analysis (about 250 words) that demonstrates the manner and extent to which the completed project achieves the general learning objectives identified below for the Work Based Project unit of study. The project must also demonstrate the application of theory and practice with respect to policy development and the assessment of resource impacts of recommendations or proposed actions. The project report must also demonstrate the use of processes and techniques that engage others in consultation and feedback during the evolution of the report and the project. Each project will be assigned both an academic and work-based supervisor, underpinned by a formal commitment to complete the defined scope of the project. Milestones will be identified with feedback provided as the project develops.

Our courses that offer this unit of study

Further unit of study information


1x8hr workshop, 1x4hr workshop, 1x4hr workshop


project application and contract (0%), 1500wd literature review and research methods paper (20%), 5000wd individual) or 10,000wd (group) written report (60%), 250wd learning impact statement (0%), 10min Oral Presentation (20%)

Faculty/department permission required?


Unit of study rules


GSOG6001 and GSOG6002 and GSOG6003 and GSOG6004

Additional Information

Students who are not enrolled in GCPA, GDPA or MPAdmin must have the permission of the Director, Graduate School of Government to undertake this unit of study.

Study this unit outside a degree

Non-award/non-degree study

If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.

Cross-institutional study

If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.