Introduction to Health Policy (HPOL5000)
UNIT OF STUDY
To develop a critical and comparative understanding of the history, theory and practice of health policy. To give an overview of the political choices and frameworks - national and global - that shape policymaking.
- acquire a critical understanding of the basic history and features of the Australian health system
- understand the main frameworks used to analyse and make policy
- understand the main issues in the translation of policy into practice
- demonstrate the capacity to apply these understandings in particular settings through case studies.
This unit explores the main structures and institutions that make health policy. The unit examines debates over policy frameworks, and the evidence and advocacy in setting priorities. Conflicts over health policy will be placed in broader contexts - comparing different health systems and assessing global influences. Case studies will be used to examine the relationships between policy and practice.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Health Communication
- Graduate Certificate in Health Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Health Communication
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Health Communication
- Master of Health Policy
- Master of Indigenous Health (Substance Use)
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Chronic Disease Prevention)
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
Block mode with compulsory Intensive workshops on Campus. 2 x 2-day workshops, online lectures and discussions
1 x 1500wd written assignment (30%); 1 x 3000wd written assignment (50%); Online learning quiz (5%); online problem based learning exercise (15%)
Buse K, Mays N, Walt G (2012). Making health policy. Second edition. Open University Press: London. Other recommended reading materials will be available on the unit's eLearning site
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.