Analysing Health Policy (HPOL5003)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit develops skills for the effective critical appraisal of health policy. It familiarizes students with the principles, and limitations, of evidence-based health policy and how this is shaped by the health and political systems. Learning objectives: - to develop critical appraisal skills and analytical methods for analysing health policy - to identify and analyse the main influences on policy development - to evaluate existing policy frameworks and processes in relation to evidence, political context and broader community values Content: This unit builds policy analysis and analytical skills by exploring policy design, implementation and evaluation. It looks at key approaches to analysing health policy, the methods and limitations of evidence-based health policy and the problems of integrating equity concerns when developing and applying health policy. The workshops focus on the critical use of epidemiological and public policy analysis to build the evidence base for, and analysis of policy, taking into account political and social contexts.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Health Communication
- Graduate Certificate in Health Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Health Communication
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Policy Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Master of Health Communication
- Master of Health Policy
- Master of Health Security
- Master of Indigenous Health (Substance Use)
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Policy Studies
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
Further unit of study information
Block mode with compulsory Intensive workshops on Campus. 2 x two day workshops plus online discussion
1x3000 word assignment (50%), 1x3000 word assignment (50%)
Buse K, Mays N, Walt G (2012). Making health policy. Second edition. Open University Press: London. Other required and recommended readings and reference lists will be available through eLearning
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.