Global Health Policy (HPOL5007)
UNIT OF STUDY
The aim of this unit is to equip students with the knowledge and skills to identify and articulate political and policy processes at the global level, become familiar with institutions and actors involved in global health policy, and utilize strategies for influencing policy making at the global level. We analyse the influence and power of institutions and actors in the development and implementation of global health policy, and investigate the governance of global health policy responses. Teaching makes extensive use of current case studies from recognised experts in the field.
Learning outcomes. By the end of this unit students will be able to: (i) Explain the effects of globalization on health of populations; (ii) Demonstrate how events and trends in health and non-health areas affect global health policy; (iii) Identify and classify the different types of actors/institutions that influence health policy; (iv) Undertake a policy stakeholder analysis with reference to power, influence and interests; (v) Develop strategies to influence global health policy development; (vi) Define global health governance and its role in structuring and regulating global health policy.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Development Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Health Communication
- Graduate Certificate in Health Security
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Development Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Health Communication
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Health Security
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of Health Communication
- Master of Health Policy
- Master of Health Security
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
Block mode with compulsory Intensive workshops on Campus or online only mode. Block mode 2 x 2 day workshops plus 4 tutorials (tutorials offered face-to-face or online) or online only
1 x 2000 word essay (35%), Tutorial discussion papers or online discussion (15%), 1 x 3000 word essay (50%)
Buse K, Mays N, Walt G (2012). Making health policy. Second edition. Open University Press: London.
Reading list available on eLearning
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.