Health, Ethics and the Law (HSBH3004)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study focuses on ethics and law in relation to the Australian health system. Fundamental ethical principles applied to ethical issues in health and health research are covered. Medico-legal aspects of health and health services will be explored. Particular areas of focus include mental health, health complaints, reproductive technologies, the start and end of life, disability, public health and genetic technology. Students will develop their own ethical thinking and an understanding of professionally acceptable behaviours appropriate to practice in a wide range of health professions. Learning is interactive and scenarios are used to develop ethical thinking. Students get to write a research report on an ethical and legal issue of their choosing.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
2x1-hr lectures/week, 1-hr tutorial/week
Mid-semester exam (20%), research report (40%) and final exam (40%)
Kerridge, I., Lowe, M., & Stewart, C. (2013). Ethics and law for the health professions. Leichardt: The Federation Press.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
HSBH1006 and (HSBH1007 or HSBH2007) and HSBH1008 and HSBH1009
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.