Health and Lifelong Disability (HSBH3010)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study explores the roles and responsibilities of health professionals who work with children, adolescents and adults with lifelong disabilities, and their families. Using an inter-professional case-based curriculum, students will examine the nature of lifelong disability; factors which affect the participation of persons with lifelong disability in everyday life activities including education, leisure, and employment; and strategies for increasing their participation in these activities. Students will be supported to critique research literature, to examine the roles and responsibilities of allied health professionals in the context of working with persons with lifelong disability, and to develop practical strategies for interacting and working collaboratively and successfully with children, adolescents, and adults with lifelong disabilities, their families and fellow professionals. It is expected that through a combination of face-to-face teaching and online learning activities, this unit will assist students in preparing to work with individuals with lifelong disabilities in a range of workplace settings.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr lecture/week, 1x1-hr tutorial/week.
Tutorial activities(20%), essay 2000wd (35%) and case study (45%).
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
HSBH1006 and (HSBH1007 or HSBH2007) and HSBH1008 and HSBH1009
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.