FHS Indigenous Communities (HSBH3013)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit provides theoretical and practical knowledge about relevant models of community development in Aboriginal communities in New South Wales. Students will gain experience in working with Aboriginal communities in a health services setting, participating in an approximately 4 week placement in a local Aboriginal community. Students participate in a community identified development project and will document and report on their experiences in working with the local Aboriginal community. Students will be required to demonstrate project management skills including time management and reporting abilities. Students are required to attend briefing and debriefing activities and complete on-line learning activities in addition to their field experience.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr introduction session (to be completed before enrolment in semester one) 4x2-hr briefing sessions,1x2-hr debriefing session, and online learning activities
Pre placement briefing paper 2000 wd (20%), participation and contribution to on-line learning activities and discussion (20%), community placement diary (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Successful completion of all 1st year units in an undergraduate FHS degree
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.