Cells and Development: Practical (Adv) (HSTO3004)
UNIT OF STUDY
This advanced unit of study complements HSTO3003 (Cells and Development: Theory) and is catered to provide students with laboratory research experience leading to Honours and higher degrees. It will primarily cover the design and application of experimental procedures involved in cell and developmental biology, using appropriate molecular and cellular techniques to answer developmental questions raised in HSTO3003. This unit of study will promote hands on experience, allowing students to observe and examine developing and differentiating tissues at the macroscopic and microscopic level. The main emphasis of this unit of study will concentrate on practical approaches to understanding the mechanisms that control animal development. Some projects may examine early developmental processes such as fertilization, cleavage, gastrulation and the formation of the primary germ layers and tissues. The parts played by stem cells and inductive cell and tissue interactions in differentiation, morphogenesis and pattern formation can also be examined at cellular and molecular levels.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Science) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Further unit of study information
One 1-hour tutorial per week
One 90 minute exam and/or Practical class reports and Seminars (100%)
Gilbert SF. Developmental Biology. 10th edition. Sinauer Associates Inc. 2013.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
A mark of 65 in (ANAT2008 or PHSI3005 or PHSI3905) OR [(a mark of 65 in BMED2401) and at least two from (BMED2402 and BMED2403 and BMED2406)].
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.