Cross-Cultural Management (IBUS6002)
UNIT OF STUDY
An understanding of cultural differences and how to manage such differences is critical to effective management in international and multi-cultural business environments. The aim of this unit is to provide conceptual frameworks and evidence from practice that will develop an understanding of the ways in which cultures differ, how these differences can impact on management, and how cultural issues can limit organisational effectiveness. Major topics include the significance of culture in international management, the meaning and dimensions of culture, comparative international management and leadership styles, managing communication across cultures, ethics and social responsibility in global management, cross-cultural negotiation and decision-making, forming and managing global teams, and developing the international and global manager.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Commerce
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in US Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Commerce
- Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in US Studies
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of US Studies
Further unit of study information
1x 3hr lecture/seminar per week
Group research projects (35%), final exam (30%), individual written assignment (25%), and participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.