Design Thinking (IDEA9106)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study provides an overview of a human-centred approach to the design of products and systems. It introduces students to design thinking and how it can be productively applied to different design situations. The theoretical concepts, methods and tools for the key stages of interaction design are covered including user research, ideation, prototyping and user evaluation. It provides students with the principles, processes and tools for working collaboratively on design projects in studio. Students learn to build empathy with users, identify and reframe the problem space, develop value-driven design concepts and persuasively communicate design proposals with an emphasis on the user experience through visual storytelling.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Digital Communication and Culture
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Certificate in Interaction Design and Electronic Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Design
- Graduate Diploma in Digital Communication and Culture
- Graduate Diploma in Heritage Conservation
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Interaction Design and Electronic Arts
- Graduate Diploma in Urban Design
- Master of Architecture
- Master of Digital Communication and Culture
- Master of Heritage Conservation
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts
- Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts (Illumination Design)
- Master of Moving Image
- Master of Urban Design
Further unit of study information
Lecture 1 hr/wk, Tutorial 2 hrs/wk
Design assignments (90%), Participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.