Enterprise Healthcare Info Systems (INFO5306)
UNIT OF STUDY
Healthcare systems intimately coupled to ICT have been at the forefront of many of the medical advances in modern society in the past decade. As is already the case in many other service-driven sectors, it is widely recognised that a key approach to solve some of the healthcare challenges is to harness and further ICT innovations. This unit is designed to help fill a massive technology talent gap where one of the biggest IT challenges in history is in the technology transformation of healthcare.
The unit will consist of weekly lectures, a set of group discussions (tutorials) and practical lab sessions. The contents will offer students the opportunity to develop IT knowledge and skills related to all aspects of Enterprise Healthcare Information Systems. Key Topics covered include:
* Health Information System e.g., Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) and Radiology IS
* Electronic Health Records / Personal Health Records
* Health data management
* Healthcare Transactions
* Health Statistics and Research
* Decision Support Systems including Image-based systems
* Cost Assessments and Ethics / Privacy
* TeleHealth / eHealth
* Cases studies with Australian Hospitals
Guest lecturers from the healthcare industry will be invited. The core of student's assessments will be based on individual research reports (topics related to the current industry IT needs), software / practical assignment and quizzes.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Honours) (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Health Technology Innovation
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Master of Health Technology Innovation
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 1 hr/week; Laboratory 1 hr/week.
Through semester assessment (50%) and Final Exam (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
The unit is expected to be taken after introductory courses in related units such as COMP5206 - Introduction to IS (or COMP5138 Relational DBMS).
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.